In November 2016, at the invitation of one of Vietnam’s leading Supermarket Chains, New Zealand Trade Centre attended the 2016 Vietnam Food & Technology Expo which took place in Ho Chi Minh City from the 16th– 19th of November.
Vietnam represents a market of over 96 million. The middle class, like China, is increasingly becoming more discerning and wealthy.
The Food Expo was particularly profitable for NZTC and for Ruth of Bio Balance, one of the suppliers who joined us on this journey. Showcasing the best of NZ products and opportunities, NZTC carefully selected New Zealand’s best suppliers of food, beverages, health supplements and skincare products that we believed would work in the Vietnamese market.
The first two days of the show were designated for Trade Customers. Over these two days, we were immediately impressed by the quality and knowledge of those that visited our stand, who were enticed by video’s of the the All Blacks, Hobbitton, NZ Tourism and of course the Haka. Of the 20-brand products on display, each of these individual producers and brands had multiple inquiries. Ruth expertly shared her knowledge and experiences in the Health Care sector and it was well received, with many qualified leads, plus she was able to provide samples then and there for the most qualified buyers.
1. What they know about NZ and the NZ Brand
3. What they would be prepared to pay, if this product was in the Vietnam market today
This feedback has provided invaluable insights into the Vietnamese public expectations and awareness. It has also provided some very clear direction for NZTC as to what products are most readily going to be acceptable and secure market traction. Over and above this, we can use this information to provide feedback to the potential distributors we have identified within the Vietnamese market.
- There is a distinct advantage to NZ Exporters and Suppliers because establishing a brand presence in Vietnam, means only visiting two cities;
- The Vietnam public are concerned with health, clearly communicating benefits, will deliver sales;
- A smile goes a long way and the Vietnamese are one of the friendliest people you will ever meet.